Having a quick peep at the map of the island we though to ourselves “yes there is an island – only two hundred kilometers, where to go there?” you will definitely be wrong: we drove two or three thousand kilometers in a couple of weeks – and there are still places where we only plan to get, and places where we want to return again. Of course, every time we hire a car in Crete. Taxi on the island with this approach will cost extremely expensive, buses are great, but not always convenient and I would like more freedom, choose excursions … Perhaps.
Prices and general rules for determining the cost
The “higher” the season, the higher the cost: most expensive in July-August, cheaper – before June and after September;
Earlier bookings of a car online is quite a normal practice: in the season on the spot and prices will be higher, and there will be less free cars;
Renting a car in Greece in July and August in small towns or for long periods (7-14-21 … days) an available car may simply not be found; the more rental days, the lower the total cost of each individual day; the simpler the insurance, the lower the cost.
There may be various “bonuses” to the car that affect the total cost: someone tries to make money on navigators, someone on “additional drivers”, someone adds additional types of insurance such as “for +5 euros per day, we guarantee you, that if your car breaks down, then within a few hours we will replace it without further ado ”. Do you need such an option if a German or Japanese car has covered only 10-15 thousand kilometers? You decide. In addition, some local companies provide these options for free.
In general, renting a car in Crete does not cause any problems, there are several advantages, you just need to remember the points listed above, be more attentive and look at things positively.
Perks and benefits of renting a car in Greece
- Independence of movement around the island. The tourist is free from the public transport schedule: after all, the bus runs only twice a day (in the morning and evening). It only travels to the most beautiful places, but never visiting the most fascinating ones.
- The ability to build a timetable at your own discretion. Traditional routes are sometimes unacceptable to tourists for various reasons.
- Convenience of movement. This is important when traveling with children. In addition, the tourist can take with him everything necessary for the excursion (food, water, umbrellas, beach mats). Items are loaded into the trunk, and when traveling on public transport, you have to carry everything in your hands.
- Comfort of travel. You can build a route in such a way that you don’t have to change the daily routine.
- Car rental will make your vacation unforgettable: there is no need to rest in one resort village. In accordance with the constructed route, you can go around the entire island, stopping in selected towns. Hotels should be booked in advance (as well as planning a route).
When renting a car, it is recommended to read the rental agreement. A full package of insurance services should be envisaged. And it is important to consider transportation costs: a small car will consume less gasoline. And it is recommended that all discovered defects in the car be entered into the contract immediately.
Leave a Reply