You may already be aware that travelling by train is an eco-friendly mode of transport. However, you might not have questioned why rail travel is environmentally friendly before; so, join us as we take a deep dive into why using national rail services reduces your carbon footprint!
Trains are a form of public transport
When it comes to green modes of transport, public transport is always the best option for getting from A to B (apart from travelling by bike or on foot).
For the vast majority of the time, trains in the UK are used for public transportation and freight purposes. This reduces the number of vehicles on the roads, waters and in the air which reduces carbon emissions.
Energy usage of trains
Trains and other modes of public transport are statistically proven to generate fewer carbon emissions because they use less energy per passenger.
According to the Office Of Rail And Road, as of 31st March 2022, 71% of the UK’s rolling stock was fully powered by electricity. The other 29% was made up of either diesel, bi-mode or locomotives.
Vehicles powered by electricity rather than fossil fuels such as diesel and petrol are much more eco-friendly.
Going the distance
As previously mentioned, catching the train is better than taking the car or flying from an environmental perspective. These benefits are further improved when choosing rail travel for long distance journeys.
Case in point: According to LNER, an LNER Azuma train from Edinburgh to London emits four kilograms of carbon emissions per passenger. However, making the same journey by plane would emit 132 kilograms per passenger, while making the trip by car would emit 112 kilograms.
So, next time you’re thinking of making a long-distance domestic journey, consider taking the train. This will mean you’re helping to reduce pollution while still travelling to exciting destinations.
Other benefits of rail travel
There are plenty more reasons why rail travel is the best route forward.
The process of on and offboarding a train is always quicker and easier than flying. Additionally, it has advantages over driving because there is a lower risk of delays.
In 2023, no one should be having to put up with those annoying, yet completely avoidable, traffic jams. In fact, traffic jams in themselves can cause further air pollution which is bad for the environment and people’s health!
Additionally, because the UK’s rail system is so well connected that it is possible to reach the vast majority of UK towns, cities and other notable destinations by rail. This means that the need to take another, more polluting mode of transport for a second leg of the journey is oftentimes unnecessary when making a domestic journey.
However, if you do need to continue travelling once your train pulls into the station, you may be able to continue your journey by walking or cycling which does not produce any carbon emissions at all!
So there you have it, a rundown of the main reasons why rail travel is an environmentally friendly mode of transport.