Choosing the color of the walls is a responsible and difficult task. After all, they are the ones that will frame your interior. As a rule, it is with the painting of the walls that the main finishing work begins, and it is with the choice of paint that many begin to create the space. It is important that the room was comfortable and cozy, and the colors were in harmony. We asked designers and gathered 10 useful tips to help you make the right choice from the top website.
One of the main mistakes when choosing wall colors is to consider samples on a horizontal surface. There is always less light on the vertical, a fact you should always keep in mind.
Take into consideration the lighting
The lighting in a room can greatly affect the perception of wall color. If the room is small and the light is dim, it’s better to choose lighter shades, so it will seem visually larger. For large rooms with a lot of natural light, you can use any, even the most pretentious colors.
Also, pay attention to the location of the windows in the room. If the windows face north or east, the walls will take on cold shades, while south and west – warm shades.
Create a 3D plan
Before you buy paint, take advantage of modern technology and draw a 3D plan of the room. There are several programs with free beta versions: Sweet Home 3D, Homestyler, Planoplan, PRO100, ArchiCAD, SketchUp.
Arrange the furniture, think about where the windows will be and how much light in the room. And only then begin “trying on” colors. Do not be afraid to experiment, sometimes bold solutions are the most successful.
If you get an extended version of these planners, you can work on the visual of each room down to the smallest detail. Choose furniture, finishes and textures.
Focus on the color of the furniture and the overall interior of the room – says Designer Gennady Yagupov
As a rule, a stylish interior is not only the finishing of the room, but also its details. When choosing the wall color, do not forget about the general style, furniture and decor elements.
Taking into consideration the furniture and lighting, it immediately becomes clear that the white wall color or bright prints would be superfluous here.
Many decorators advise to first decide on the main color in the room, and then select additional colors to it.
Do not forget about the purpose of the room
Whatever colors are trending right now, when choosing a paint, it is important not to forget about the purpose of the room. For example, the bedroom will not do screaming or neon colors. It is a place of rest, where nothing should stress. But in the kitchen and living room you can add bright colors, they will help to create the right mood there.
To create a harmonious and at the same time not boring space, adopt the rule “60-30-10. This means that the volume ratio of colors should be:
- 60% of one color
- 30% of the second color
- 10% of the accent color
Consider the size of the room and its functionality
Today it is fashionable to combine different functional rooms in one space. For example, the kitchen with the living room, a bedroom with a bathroom, and many people choose studio apartments, where in fact only one room. In such cases, you should choose a color based on practical considerations.
If the studio is large, you can experiment with transitions, textures and different shades. But in small rooms, it is better to give preference to a combination of basic and bright shades. Basic light shades will help to visually expand the room, and a bright color will add a zest to the interior.
Use Itten’s color wheel
If you plan to combine several shades in one interior, but do not know what colors to choose – use the color circle of Itten. Matching colors are opposite each other, in the same line of the color scheme or next to each other.
Test different shades
Trying out a wall paint job can keep you from making serious mistakes. You can do this by taking several cans of different paint that you like. Apply each one in a strip to the wall and leave it to dry completely. Don’t be alarmed if the color isn’t what you thought it would be at first. Some paints take on their true hue only after they are completely dry.
Allow the color to unfold
There are times when a shade is chosen, tested, and seems to be “the one.” But after application on the walls, it suddenly becomes too bright, or conversely, acquires a grayish cast. Do not jump to conclusions! Some shades need time to unfold. Leave the walls to dry for a couple of days. It’s quite possible that after that time the color will “open up.
Overall impression of the room
When choosing a color, the main thing – do not rush. Many people, after receiving the keys, immediately run to buy furniture and paint for finishing. And then they are disappointed and spend a lot of money on redecoration.
So first decide on the furnishings in the room. Think through the details and the overall concept, familiarize yourself with the possible palettes. The wall color always affects the overall impression of the interior. Warm shades give the room more coziness and tranquility. Cold ones, on the contrary, make the room look spacious and fresh. Bright and dark colors pull all the attention, but over time can get bored, and make the atmosphere more heavy. Gray and white – the base, on their background is easier to build an interior, if you often plan to change its mood with the decor.
Don’t be afraid to experiment
Today, lush natural shades are coming back into fashion. Especially popular are green, blue, fuchsia, and terracotta. It is not necessary to paint brightly all the walls at once, start with one – the accent wall.
Top tips for choosing the ideal wall color
- When choosing wall color, it is worth paying attention to the lighting in the room. Both daylight and artificial light. If it’s not enough, it’s better to choose light, basic shades. But in large, spacious rooms, the wall decorations can be anything, even very dark.
- Before you think about colors, create a 3D plan of the apartment or room. With it you will find it easier to imagine the general view of the room: furniture, lights, windows and doors.
- The color of the walls should match the overall interior of the room. For example, if you are planning a room in the style of high-tech or minimalism, then lilac or soft pink walls will definitely not fit in the overall picture.
- Remember about the purpose of the room. As a rule, update the color of the walls not earlier than 5-7 years after the repair.
- Today it is fashionable to create studios, or to combine different functional rooms. If the studio is large, you can experiment with transitions, textures and different colors. But in small rooms, it is better to give preference to a combination of basic and bright shades.
- To determine the shade or choose compatible colors, use the color wheel by Itten. Combination shades are opposite each other, in the same color line or next to each other.
- To decide on the perfect wall color, choose a few shades you like, and paint a small area on the wall with them. It is enough to make a few strips and leave them for a couple of days until they are completely dry. This will help you know how the color looks on the wall, how it changes in daylight and artificial light.
Leave a Reply